The Syrian Story that CNN Missed

Mario Sabga-Aboud

Now that nearly everyone has had their chance to voice their opinion, discontent, satire and support of the statements (both of them) made by Mario Sabga-Aboud, it's time to have another chat about the very same topic of who really are the power-mongers in Trinidad and Tobago.

I admit I was initially a bit taken aback by the casual seriousness of The Statement. I felt it was made with impunity, especially as the distant twinkling lightscape of Laventille in the background was second focus to the glistening extra virgin olive oil that was being poured on a meal table that would take some peasants months of coffee-cashing to prepare. The juxtaposition  - of the open, airy, free balcony, overlooking the "immigration centres" of centuries past, against the daily prison of the nation's workforce in the country's capital - wasn't lost on me. And I would forgive those who did not give it a second thought.

My secondary school days might be most precious to me, as there were still significant populations of the Syrian/Lebanese occupying many seats in the public - albeit "prestige" - school system. Now, there are more private institutions catering specifically to fulfilling the educational needs of certain powerful communities. In fact, as a Form One student, fresh from the social ignorance and political naivete of Curepe, I had my first encounter with The Community.

His nickname is too revealing, but I'll say now that today he's a newsworthy and respectable name for ANSA McAL. At the time, he must have been a year or two above me.. but I recall exiting the school's cafeteria, and as I passed by him and his clique, he casually popped his Coca Cola cover into my shirt pocket and laughingly quipped: "This is for the bin".

I lunged at him and ended up knocking the drink out of his hand.

I really didn't understand what I wanted to do in that moment. I wasn't a brawler; I had zero clue about racism (honestly); and I didn't want to hurt him. I felt disenfranchised, devalued and denigrated without knowing what any of those words meant at that time, or had experienced such before. But I think what actually hurt me was the fact that I somehow realised that no matter what I did in that moment, or even in the decades to follow, would I ever be able to make that guy feel even a fraction of how I felt. His speech, manner, confidence and swagger - yea, even his very aura - told me that he would probably never be able to comprehend the fact that there were actually rungs on the standard ladder.

Which brings us back to the Bourdain dinner, and the topic at the headline of this piece.

A split-second after Peter George clarifies that the Lebanese/Syrian community is "just under 5,000", Mr. Sabga-Aboud chimes in "...but the most powerful... er-er, almost the most powerful". That simple correction to me speaks volumes. Most countries tend to self-identify various groups of people who drive the business community and wield economic influence. Nothing is wrong with that. We don't have Rockefellers or Rothschilds running things (financially) in T&T, and that's okay as well. Someone has to fill those shoes. Immigrants did it. So fine. No one else did. The S/L community is traditionally seen as the de facto power player in our democracy, dealing well with the noveau riche descendants of slaves and indentured labourers, but there has undoubtedly been a threat to the status quo in recent times.

It's evident in the news. A new population that has exploded over the past decade. Businesses on every corner. Secretive. Rich. Consuming forex. Underselling the Syrian-owned groceries. Rich. Flooding the market with knock-offs of major brands. Undercutting the State's own lottery mechanism. Circumventing gambling laws. Rich. Bypassing FUL regulations. Ignoring EBC guidelines. Snubbing banking regulation. Threatening the empire that has built this country's largest businesses, which rivals the government itself as Trinidad's largest employer.

This can't be good. Even MSA is hinting at it - he implies that his community is being challenged for Alpha status. That's why we should be worried - regardless of if he means the middle class or another group. The "another group" option would be much worse, mind you.

If indeed there is some upheaval in the status quo, it would be interesting to note if the newcomers on the table are interested in purely economic gain or political as well. While it may be argued that both are intertwined, it would be a shame to have external forces make off with our natural resources and foreign exchange, without reinvesting in this nation.

At least certain conglomerates know that you have to keep sheep in the barn to shear tomorrow. Some entities are operating like they want to slaughter the herd and move to another farm tomorrow.

There is much more that could be said, but for now, I prefer to have a cup Spiced Chai, rather than heading to the roulette machine.

Comments